Due to Regulation from Ministry of Finance of The Republic of Indoesia, Directorate General of Taxes No. 76/PMK.03/2010, all visitor from outside Indonesia which have foreign passport can get their VAT refund for any purchase of goods from Indonesia when they go home to their country land. Now your visit to Indonesia can be more enjoyable.
For your consideration that only Indonesia shop (retailer) with “VAT Refund for Tourists” logo can be applied.
As we know, VAT Refund for Tourists is a facility given by Indonesian government which allows tourists (foreign passport holder) to claim back Value Added Tax (VAT) on goods purchased in any registered as a “VAT Refund for Tourists” participants.
But who is eligible for its VAT refund?
Any foreign passport holder who is:
– not an Indonesia citizen or not a Permanent Resident of Indonesia , who lives or stays in Indonesia no longer than 2 (two) months since he/she arrived in Indonesia,
– not a member of an airline crew
How to claim the VAT refund?
Accompanied baggage (goods)
To be eligible for the VAT Refund:
a. Goods mus be purchased from shop with “VAT Refund for Tourists” label across Indonesia by showing your passport and you must have a valid tax invoice (a tax invoice attached with one payment receipt) from the shop.
b. Goods which are excluded are as follows:
– Food, beverage, tobacco products;
– Guns and any explosive goods (materials)
– Any goods that are prohibited to be taken onto an aircraft
c. A-minimum amount of Rp. 500,000 (five hundred thousand rupiah) of VAT in one valid tax invoice from a shop with the same purchasing date.
d. Goods are purchased within 1 (one) month before departing Indonesia.
e. Goods mus be carried out of Indonesia as accompanied baggage overseas within 1 (one) month of the date of purchase.
VAT refund payment options
VAT Refund can be given in cash or by transfer payment.
a. Given in cash with Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) currency.
VAT Refund is given in cash only if the amount does not exceed Rp. 5 .000.000 (five million rupiah;
b. Through transfer payment
When the VAT refund is in excess of Rp. 5.000.000 (five million rupiah), the refund will be made by transfer. The passenger should provide bank account number, account name, address, bank routing number, designated bank for transfer and requested currency for the VAT refund. The transfer will be done within 1 (one) month of receipt of application for VAT refund.
If the amount of VAT refund is more than Rp. 5.000.000 (five million rupiah), however , the passenger does not want to be refunded in cash and the balance of VAT is not refundable.
The VAT refund can only be claimed at the airport on the date of your departure and you must follow these steps:
Option#1 : Claim VAT Refund before check-in counter
1. Submit the application for VAT refund to the Directorate General of Taxes (DGT) officer at the airport;
2. Submit both copies of the original valid tax invoice ( a tax invoice attached with one payment receipt)
3. Show passport, airline ticket and goods purchased;
4. Receive VAT refund in cash or through transfer to your bank account.
Option#2 : Claim VAT Refund after Check-in counter
The same steps are applied for this option, however, instead of showing airline ticket you need to show your international boarding pass to the DGT officer.
This option is applied for the passenger who carries on his/her purchased goods as hand baggage. If the goods are oversized or aviation security measures prevent you from taking your goods on board the aircraft, then you have to claim your VAT Refund at VAT Refund counter before Check-in counter as stated option#1.
To help for better service, please ensure that you allow enough time to complete your VAT Refund claims procedure on the day of your departure.
Where are the VAT Refund counters located?
VAT Refund counters are located before and after check-in counter in selected Indonesian Internation Airport.
Currently VAT Refund counters are available at Soekarno-Hatta Airport, Jakarta and Ngurah Rai Airport, Bali
Participant Stores (at right now)
1. Pasaraya Blok M Blok M Jakarta
2. Sarinah Thamrin Jakarta
3. Metro Pondok Indah Mall Jakarta
4. Metro Plaza Plaza Senayan Jakarta
5. Keris Gallery Terminal 2D, Bandara Soekarno Hatta Jakarta
6. Batik Keris Discovery Shopping Mall Bali
7. UC Silver Batubulan Gianyar Bali
8. Mayang Bali Kuta Square Blok A no.12 Bali
Taken from Indonesia Directorate General of Taxes